ADVENTURE AT THE FEET OF EVEREST
ADVENTURE AT THE FOOT OF EVEREST
An extended tour of Tibet, beginning in Lhasa with visits to all the renowned monumental landmarks: the Potala Palace, Jokhang Monastery, the Universities of Drepung and Sera, on to Lake Yamdrok, Shigatse and winding up in Rongbuk Monastery at the base of Everest.
FROM LHASA TO SHIGATSE & RONGBUK
Be it in Lhasa or Gyantsé, you will be immersed in the spiritual atmosphere of Tibetan Buddhism that goes beyond religion and the grandeur of their places of worship speak for themselves. Admire the priceless masterpieces that have been around for centuries and survived the ‘cultural revolution’. Then we venture into central Tibet, and walk on the shores of sacred Yamdrok Lakes, in the heart of villages surrounded by mountains and finally stand at the foot of the awe-inspiring Mount Everest.
- The Holy city of Lhasa and its highly spiritual places.
- The landscapes of the dry Tibetan plateau, the Himalayan passes, and the turquoise lake.
- The distinctive view of Everest from Rongbuk Monastery.
For your next trek with us in the Himalayas, travel light and aware: Base Camp offers you a biodegradable soap made in Nepal, to leave no trace ...
Arrival at the Lhasa Gonggar Airport - Drive 62 km to reach Lhasa city. Check-in at the hotel located a few steps from the Bhakor Market. Free time to relax or acclimatize by taking a stroll in old Lhasa city.
- Accommodation: Hotel Tibet Heritage or similar.
We begin our tour by visiting the most popular sites of Lhasa - The Potala Palace which was the official residence of the Dalai Lama until 1959. It still houses an impressive collection of Buddhist art. We visit the Jokhang Temple just 2 minutes away from our hotel. It lies in the heart of the old town and gets a large number of pilgrims of Tibetan origin from around the world.
- Accommodation: Same Hotel.
In the morning we climb up to the great monastic university of Drepung, the largest monastery in Tibet. It once housed more than 7000 monks in a maze of chapels, temples and dormitories. In the afternoon, we visit the monastic university of Sera where rhetorical contests and philosophical debates are always going on.
- Accommodation: Same Hotel
We head for Gyantse, one of the most beautiful towns of central Tibet, and on the way, stop to admire the pristine Lake Yamdrok (4,441m) up in the mountains, where yaks and sheep are seen grazing. We reach Gyantse, where farmers and ranchers meet at a picturesque market. We visit a monastery with extraordinary frescoes and move on to the famous 72-chapel stupa (Gyantse Kumbum Chorten) built by a prince in 1427. On the way, we stop at the village of Shalu and visit its monastery. Then we drive for 1 ½ hours to reach Shigatse (280km from Lhasa), the second-largest city in Tibet.
- Duration of drive: 7 - 8 hr
- Distance: 391 km.
- Accommodation: Hotel.
Today we drive to famous Rongbuk and cross three passes on the way. The Rongbuk Monastery is renowned for the stunning view of Mount Everest from the north side. It is also the starting point of Everest expeditions from the north and the route taken by early expeditions such as the famous 1924 expedition of Mallory and Irvine.
- Duration of drive: 8 hr.
- Distance: 350km.
- Accommodation: Guest House
Transfer by private vehicle to a small village 20 km from Rongbuk and the mandatory ride to and from Rongbuk on the collective electric bus.
- Accommodation: Hotel
- Duration of drive: 5 hr
- Accommodation: Hotel
End of our services.
NOTESPrice & conditions
Price per person (in double sharing room - see the dates of festivals)
Period Rate Per person in US $ in double sharing room
- Low season 1115
04 April to 25 April
17 Oct 2020 au 20 Feb 2021
- High season 1185
06 June 25 July
- Peak season 1240
03 may 30 may
01 Aug au 10 Oct
- Nights in hotels in Tibet as indicated in the itinerary
- Stay in B & B in Tibet
- An English-speaking Tibetan guide for the whole stay in Tibet
- Visit sites and monasteries according to the itinerary
- Site entries according to the itinerary
- All necessary permits in Tibet according to the itinerary
- Provision of oxygen bottle
- Delivery of permits during your transit in China
What's not included
- Stay and visa China or elsewhere
- Supplement of documents delivery to your city transits Chinese
- Flights / Train
- Compulsory repatriation insurance
- Aug supplement
- Personal expenses, drinks, tips
- Supplement for a single room and individual transfer (private vehicle and local guide): 470$. (variation is possible)
* 205$ reduction if you share the room with a solo traveler
Please contact us for specific confirmed and open departure dates.
** Supplement for the tour only if arriving from Kathmandu:
- China visa for European nationals from Kathmandu: 100$ / person
- Round trip flight Kathmandu- Lhassa: from 625$ / person (variation is possible)
(Variation possible depending on dates and times of reservations to be reconfirmed)
JEAN CLAUDE FAURE Trip (Voyage) : ADVENTURE AT THE FEET OF EVEREST Date of Trip : 10/05 - 17/05/2019
We wanted to thank you for all the help you gave us during our trip, especially to Jasmine and Rashmi. A big thank you to our Tibetan guide Niema for sharing the love of his culture and his good mood in all circumstances.